Friday 30 September 2011

Word count

I regularly use word count to find out whether the word limit has been reached but it never occurred to me that word count is something to keep me going through long nights of writing. Though, this is when my writing is flowing like a well oiled machine. It's a completely different story when your fingers don't jump so vigorously on the keyboard as you would normally expect. It happened yesterday and I found myself battling with the word count.

My expectation is to write 1,500 words a day. It doesn't sound like much but it certainly looked like Mt. Everest yesterday. I feel much better today exceeding 2,000 words with ease but it feels amusing and bewildering that word count can make you think so much. Shouldn't I be much more concerned about the WHAT of writing? Well, I am, don't take me wrong but the count itself sitting at the bottom of Word processors is always there constantly reminding me of the inevitable battle with words and time. Is this writing driving me mad or is that something every author is going through?

No comments:

Post a Comment